By: CBN | 5/8/12
Before we get down to it, as always, here are a couple of notes:
– Florida St. and Baylor remain the top 2 teams after a couple of easy wins this past weekend.
– Kentucky is now the odd team out of the race for 3 SEC national seeds after dropping 2 of 3 to Florida. LSU is now the projected SEC champ and they take hold of the three seed because of it.
– As for the Gators, their series win over Kentucky has them back in the national seed picture. They come in at five.
– Oregon vaults to the fourth seed after an impressive series win at Arizona to take total command of the Pac 12.
– Purdue free falls out of the top 8 after getting exposed by UCLA – who is in at number 7.
– As for the mid-majors, C-USA adds a fourth team into the mix with Tulane coming on strong late in the season. Out west, the WCC is represented well with three teams.
– In other mid-major news, it wasn't a good weekend for the Southland Conference with leader Sam Houston St. dropping a series to UT-Arlington and Southeastern Louisiana unable to get the sweep at home over lowly Stephen F. Austin. Lions fall down to the "First Five Out" category because of the RPI drop.
Here it is:
|LAST FIVE IN: Indiana St., Stetson, Tulane, Oklahoma, Washington|
FIRST FIVE OUT: Wichita St., Southeastern Louisiana, Michigan St., Wake Forest, Illinois St.
– By conference, the projected field of 64 breaks down like this (* denotes conference champion):
American East: Stony Brook*
Atlantic 10: Rhode Island*
Atlantic Coast: Florida St.*, North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Miami, Georgia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina St., Clemson
Atlantic Sun: South Carolina-Upstate*, Stetson
Big 10: Purdue*
Big 12: Baylor*, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas
Big East: St. John's, Louisville
Big South: Coastal Carolina*
Big West: Cal St. Fullerton*
C-USA: Rice*, Central Florida, East Carolina, Tulane
Horizon: Wright St.*
Ivy League: Cornell*
Independent: Dallas Baptist
Metro Atlantic: Manhattan*
Mid-American: Kent St.*
MEAC: Delaware St.*
Missouri Valley: Missouri St.*, Indiana St.
Mountain West: TCU*
Ohio Valley: Austin Peay St.*
Pac 12: Oregon*, UCLA, Stanford, Arizona, Washington, Oregon St.
SEC: LSU*, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Arkansas, Mississippi St., Georgia, Ole Miss
Southern: Appalachian St.*, College of Charleston
Southland: Sam Houston St.*
SWAC: Jackson St.*
Summit: Oral Roberts*
Sun Belt: Florida Atlantic*
West Coast: San Diego*, Pepperdine, Gonzaga
Any questions or comments about this projection are welcomed and encouraged. Speak your mind via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or through twitter (@CB__Nation).